Planning for a Home Death
There are a number of things that will need to be considered when planning for a home death:
- The specific needs of the dying person and their family.
- Management of symptoms and care needs.
- A way to record evidence of care as it is delivered.
- Identification of cultural preferences.
- Identification of advance care plans and or advance care directives.
- Need for additional supports such as care workers, volunteers or specialist providers.
- Identification of any equipment required.
- Provision of contact details of appropriate services that will be needed in the event of change or crisis.
- Provision of information about signs that death may be occurring.
- Guidance for what to do following the death.
- Provision of funeral service contact details.
More information can be found on the CareSearch website - Planning for a Home Death.
Page updated 02 March 2022